Artist RegistrationGeneral Artist Registration and Indie Artist Applications have not yet opened. Details to come!
Artist Space Info
Each space is approximately 6′x5′ and includes one covered 6′ table, two chairs and one Kraken Con registration.
Pricing information coming soon!
We expect to sell out of spaces very quickly. After spaces sell out, we recommend interested artists to add themselves on the waitlist on Eventbrite. We will NOT take requests via email or social media to be added to the wait list. The waitlist will be capped at 15 names; if any artists cancel we will select names from the waitlist to fill the empty spaces. If selected from the waitlist you will have 48 hours to complete the application and submit payment.
How to Register
The Eventbrite link will be posted here.
Artist Space Info
Each space is approximately 8′x6′ and includes one 8′ table, two chairs and two Kraken Con registrations.
Pricing information coming soon!
Indie press artists are artists who sell their own comics or prints of original characters only – no fanart. Original crafts may also apply.
The Eventbrite link will be posted here.
Artist Contract Information
Cancellations: Should the artist cancel 90 days or more in advance of the event the artist shall receive 100% refund minus any incurred fees; between 90 and 31 days of the event the artist shall receive 50% refund; within 30 days of the event the artist shall not be issued a refund. Space ownership may not be transferred to a different artist.
General Artist Spaces go on sale: TBD
Indie Artist Space application opens: TBD
Sharing Artists last day to add: TBD
Deadline to submit Seller’s Permit information: TBD
- All art and imagery needs to be the creation of the artist(s) who purchased the artist space. Materials such as trading cards, advertisements, stickers, printed out imagery, etc, may not be used in any item for sale.
- Art and displays may not contain logos, names, and emblems of licensed properties.
- Weapons, except for cosplay prop items which must be immediately peace-bound by the purchaser.
- Noisy, dangerous, and harmful substances, supplies and/or equipment.
- Reproductions of existing licensed merchandise in any form. This includes tracing, copying, scanning, downloading or editing of copyrighted artwork, characters, or logos if they were not created by the Artist.
- Selling, reselling, or distribution of commercial products, including the unauthorized re-releasing of merchandise of any kind (“bootlegs”).
- Food or beverages.
- Adult materials (more details below in Terms and Conditions).
- Pseudo-Merchandise (items that, intentionally or not, directly compete with licensed merchandise available in the Exhibit Hall or elsewhere). This includes such items as cosplay props and costumes, t-shirts, buttons, key chains, etc, that are similar to existing licensed merchandise.
- Up-cycled items where the artist’s original art/imagery is not the focus of the piece.
- Raffle tickets or other game tickets/pieces that could be classified as gambling
- Nothing may be affixed to any Oakland Convention Center equipment.
- Exhibit Hall tables and chairs may not be used as stepladders or scaffolding. Any damages caused to this equipment due to carelessness or as a result of improper use will be the responsibility of the Artist.
- The Organizer is not liable for lost or stolen goods, merchandise, or other items.
- All setups and displays must not interfere with neighboring tables. All setups and displays must not block/intrude into aisles. All setups and displays must be stable and not pose a hazard.
- All sales transactions must be completed in the purchased space.
- Noisy, dangerous, and harmful substances, supplies and/or equipment are prohibited.
- The sale of adult materials is prohibited (more details in Terms and Conditions).
- The sale of food and drink is prohibited.
Kraken Con explicitly reserves the right to cancel any registration for any reason without being liable for any damages or costs.
Possible reasons for cancellation include, but are not limited to the following:
- Being a seller of prohibited items (pseudo-merchandise, bootlegs, adult materials, food, etc)
- Being an inappropriate exhibitor for Kraken Con (does not fit the theme or spirit of the convention)
In the event of Organizer initiated cancelation prior to the Event, any payment rendered will be refunded minus any third party fees, where applicable. Cancellations due to inappropriate Artist conduct or violation of the Terms and Conditions may not result in Artist(s) being refunded, depending on the severity of the offense.
The “Event” is Kraken Con, which will be held September 28-30, 2018 at the Oakland Convention Center in Oakland, CA. The “Artist” is the company and/or person(s) signing this contract. The “Organizer” is Sea Monster Media LLC and its directors, agents, employees, staff, etc. The “Exhibit Hall” is the space wherein artists are located. The “Facility” is the Oakland Convention Center in Oakland, CA. The “Hotel” is the Oakland Marriott.
Organizer shall assign space, taking into account the nature of the services and/or products being exhibited. Organizer reserves right to move Artist, provided Organizer attempts to provide a comparable booth/space assignment.
Should the Artist cancel 90 days or more in advance of the Event the Artist shall receive 100% refund; between 90 and 31 days of the Event the Artist shall receive 50% refund; within 30 days of the Event the Artist shall not be issued a refund. If the Artist fails to make payment in a timely manner, Organizer may terminate the contract immediately.
Grey Market Goods and Copyrighted Material
Under no circumstances shall Artist sell or display grey market goods, bootlegs, or pseudo-merchandise. It is the sole discretion of the Organizer to decide what constitutes pseudo-merchandise. The Organizer reserves the right to restrict the Artist from selling and/or remove the Artist from the premises. Artists playing music, videos, still pictures or other copyrighted material shall make sure it is permissible or obtain all rights required to do so, and pay any royalties, fees, or other payments to appropriate parties as required by federal law.
Under no circumstances shall Artist sell or display adult materials. Adult materials can be defined as sexually explicit anime, comics, books, films, animation, manga, hentai, yaoi and computer games. Artwork with nudity (defined as male/female genitalia, anus, or female breasts where the areola or nipple is visible) is not allowed. Additionally, art that contains overtly sexual displays (even without nudity present) may need to be removed from public view.
Taxes and Licenses
The Artist is responsible for obtaining any licenses, permits, or approvals required under law applicable to their activity at the Event. The Artist shall be responsible for obtaining any tax identification numbers required and paying all taxes, license fees, fines, or other charges that shall come due to any governmental authority in connection with their activity at Event. Artist will be required to provide proof of a California Seller’s Permit, temporary or otherwise, which may be acquired from the California Board of Equalization.
Right to Use Artist’s Name, Logo
By signing this contract, Artist expressly grants to Organizer the right to use, display, and reproduce the names, trade names, product names, and logos in any directory (print, online, or other media) and as part of marketing materials for the Event.
Care of Facility
Due care of the Exhibit Facility is requested of the Artists. Artists shall abide by all Facility rules and regulations and shall be liable for any damage caused by Artist.
Assumption of Risks, Releases and Limitations of Liability
The Artist expressly assumes all risks associated with the Artist’s participation at the Event, including without limitation, all risks of theft, harm, damage, injury to the person, property, business or profits of the Artist whether caused by negligence, intentional acts, accidents, acts of God or otherwise. Neither Organizer nor Exhibit Facility accept responsibility nor shall be liable for any injury, loss or damages, and the Artist hereby fully and forever releases and discharges the Organizer and Exhibit Facility for all losses pertaining to the Event. In no event shall Organizer’s maximum liability under any circumstances exceed the amount actually paid to Organizer by Artist minus any normal expenses paid by Organizer on behalf of Artist. Organizer makes no representations or warranties, expressed or implied, as to number of attendees or regarding any other matters.
Hold Harmless Clause / Indemnification
The Artist shall hold the Organizer and the Exhibit Facility harmless from any and all claims, demands, suites, liabilities, damages, losses, costs, reasonable attorney fees, and costs which may arise out of or in connection with the Artist’s participation or presence at the Event, including but not limited to any violation or infringement of any law or ordinance, rights of any party under any patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary right, or breach of contract by Artist. The Artist assumes the entire responsibility and liability for losses, damages, and claims arising out of Artist’s activities on the Hotel premises and will indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Hotel and Group, their respective owners, and management companies, as well as their respective agents, servants, and employees from any and all such losses, damages, and claims.
There is no other agreement or warranty between the Artist and Organizer except as set forth in this document. The rights of Organizer under this contract shall not be deemed waived except as specifically stated in writing and signed by an authorized officer of Event. Any action which Organizer or Artist may bring against each other, based upon or in any way relating to this contract or its performance, shall be brought forth in state court located within the state of California, and Organizer and Artist hereby waive all questions of personal jurisdiction or venue order to give effect this provision. Should any part of this contract be held invalid or unenforceable, that portion shall be construed consistent with applicable law as nearly as possible to reflect the original intentions of the parties and the remaining portions shall remain in full force and effect.
Organizer reserves the right to require Artist to remove items from public display in a timely manner if deemed inappropriate by standards set by Organizer. Organizer reserves the right to revoke facilities provided for Artist at the discretion of Organizer.
Additional Terms and Conditions
From time to time Organizer may provide additional materials that may specify additional terms and conditions for Artist’s participation and/or presence at the Event. Any and all matters pertaining to the Event and not specifically covered by General Terms and Conditions shall be subject to determination of Organizer at its sole discretion.
This contract shall be treated as though it were executed and performed in Oakland, California and shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the United States Of America and of the State of California. The language in this contract shall be interpreted as to its fair meaning and not strictly for or against any party.
Frequently Asked Questions
Artists are encouraged to park outside the convention center doors on 10th street (there is metered street parking available, max 2 hours) or temporarily park in the West Hall loading dock to load/offload items. Street parking is free on Sunday.