Volunteer Applications Not Yet Open!We have a limited number of volunteer positions available for energetic, motivated and friendly people. Volunteering is a great way to make new friends and help our convention community grow.
Attendee Volunteer Information
Attendee Volunteers are responsible for fulfilling minor tasks at the event. Sample tasks may include badge checking panel rooms, bag stuffing, or switching out screeners.
Attendee Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older. Exceptions may be made for those who have a parent or guardian onsite volunteering with them concurrently; those under 18 must have a signed parental consent form and will only be able to volunteer between 8AM and 6PM. Attendee Volunteers must volunteer for 12 hours total during the weekend.
At this time volunteers will not need to pre-purchase a badge. In addition to a complimentary weekend badge, volunteers will receive a Kraken Con shirt or hat and other Kraken Con goodies.
Attendee Volunteers who do not fulfill their duties or perform according to our standards will not be allowed to volunteer at future events and in some instances, may be dismissed or ejected from the convention. This includes abandoning post without securing permission from a supervisor, violating policies or displaying poor attitude
- Fill out the online application and pay the volunteer badge fee.
- Kraken Con Senior Staff will review your application. If everything is filled out satisfactorily and we have not disqualified you (e.g. for past performance) you will receive an email notifying you of your tentative acceptance within 14 days of your application.
- If you are accepted, you will be assigned to a department. While we attempt to match interests and roles this is unfortunately not always possible.
- Orientation meetings will be held beginning August. Attending one orientation is mandatory for all volunteers; Attendee Volunteers will be accepted conditionally pending successful completion of the orientation. Attendee Volunteers who do not complete the orientation will be disqualified from volunteering but may submit an application for future events.
- Once the convention begins, you will check in at the volunteer registration desk to receive all necessary volunteer items. Admission to the event will be reimbursed once hours have been completed (please note attendee volunteers will receive wristbands – those desiring an event badge will have the opportunity to receive one pending supply, at the conclusion of the event).
Attendee Volunteer Opportunities
- Artist Alley & Vendors: Assist Artist Alley and Vendors Head with check-in process and badge distribution, distribute water and snacks, tape floor and move tables and chairs as necessary, deliver items between Exhibits and storage room. Help exhibitors setup or teardown. Answer questions and concerns from artists and vendors.
- Autographs: Ensure autograph line is forming properly and that people are waiting in the correct spot, manage lines, holds end of line sign as necessary, answers questions regarding autograph policies and times.
- Special Exhibits: Assist with our unique exhibits such as the planetarium, theater, and rockband stage.
- General: Escort presenter to panels, assist at tables as applicable (e.g. if an artist is at a panel, leaving the panel empty), deliver lunch and snacks, run errands as needed (e.g. between info outposts and the Information Desk).
- ADA Services: Help disabled attendees as necessary; e.g. serving as an escort to panel rooms or distributing credentials that allow ADA attendees early access into panel rooms. Some positions may require a special skillset (such as sign language).
- Info: Learn the ins and outs of Kraken Con and help attendees find their way or assist with a myriad of questions.
- General: Stuff bags, act as a gopher, organize items. Check-in attendees with a provided device and pass out a goodie bag and badge. Assist in line formation and direct attendees where to go.
- Main Events: Assist with special programming like the Costume Contest, including line management, helping the stage manager and AV staff.
- General: Monitor panel rooms and ensure only attendees with badges enter. Keep track of panel time and hold up signage as panels are nearing an end, track # of attendees in the room. Assist panelists with AV equipment.
- General: Monitor gaming area, assist as needed with tournaments, assist with other programming items.
- Logistics: Assist department heads with tasks as needed, ensuring the convention continues to run smoothly.
- Incident Response: Help monitor various locations of the convention and report violations.
Frequently Asked Questions
Kraken Con Senior Staff will review your application. If everything is filled out satisfactorily and we have not disqualified you (e.g. for past performance) you will receive an email notifying you of your tentative acceptance within 14 days of your application.
Based on the interests you selected, you will be assigned to a department. You will have the opportunity to select shift times you’d like to volunteer at. After successful completion of Orientation, you will be a Volunteer!