Kraken Con aims to have a friendly and safe environment for attendees of all ages. To help in that goal we ask all attendees to be polite, friendly and use common sense. All attendees, vendors, guests and staff are expected to comply with all local, state and federal laws and ordinances. Failure to comply with laws and the following rules can result in the badge/wristband being revoked and/or ejection from the premises depending on the severity of the offense. All violations will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Decisions from Kraken Con staff are final.
A valid badge/wristband must be purchased to enter the convention facilities. Each badge/wristband is valid for only one attendee. Badges/wristbands are non-transferable and may not be loaned or borrowed; nor can they be copied, modified or tampered with. All attendees are required to wear the badge/wristband for the duration of the convention – there will be staff checking badges/wristbands and there will be no admittance without one.
Kraken Con has a zero tolerance policy for harassment, stalking, bullying, or mobbing people. Respect other people’s personal space and ask permission before touching, hugging, or in any way making contact with anyone else. It is also courteous to ask before taking photos or video.
Kraken Con requires that all attendees respect the facilities of the Oakland Convention Center by adhering to the following rules:
- Do not tack, tape, staple, nail, or otherwise affix anything to any wall in the Oakland Convention Center. This includes doors, panels, columns and other portions of the facility.
- Glitter, gum, confetti, helium balloons, stickers, and/or decals may not be used or affixed inside the facilities.
- Only people with disabilities may use transportation devices indoors – no roller skates, skateboards, etc.
- All aisles and exits must be kept clear, visible and unobstructed at all times. Do not block doors, fire exits, or pathways used for walking. If waiting for an event or opening, wait in a single file orderly line as the staff direct.
- Do not move any convention center or convention property including (but not limited to) tables, chairs and electronic equipment.
- Only properly trained service animals are allowed on the premises – please do NOT bring your pet.
Ensuring that the convention is family friendly is an important part of the Kraken Con experience. In that spirit, we ask you to use your discretion and common sense in regard to clothing. Attire that is not appropriate for Kraken Con—and which may result in refusal of admittance or removal from the event—includes but is not limited to:
- Clothing with objectionable material, including obscene language or graphics.
- Clothing which, by nature, exposes excessive portions of the skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment. Attendees wearing overly provocative costumes may be asked to cover up or remove their costume at the discretion of the convention organizers.
All clothing and costumes must be appropriate under Alameda County and California public decency laws and all private parts must be covered – no nudity allowed. There should be no chance of slippage or gaps. Any questions regarding the appropriateness of clothing should be directed to Kraken Con staff prior to the event at the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition, the following rules must be adhered to:
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- Roller blades, roller skates and skate shoes are prohibited.
- No profanity or hate speech may be visible on costumes or clothing.
- No costumes may be realistic depictions of American law enforcement uniforms.
- Official flags may not be worn as clothing. Homemade or unofficial flags are exempt.
- No costumes may generate fog, smoke, odor, or have excessively flashing lights.
- All costumes must fit through a standard doorway.
- Oversized costumes, costumes with limited mobility or costumes with limited visibility must have a handler to help navigate pathways.
- Only signs specific and/or integral to a costume will be permitted on a case-by-case basis.
- Absolutely no panhandling signs (asking for money, food, hugs, etc) or solicitation signs (offering to exchange for kisses, hugs, glomps, etc).
Costume Props & Weapons
All props must be checked and peace-bonded at the peace-bonding station in the foyer before entering the convention.
- Props are only permissible when wearing an associated costume.
- Prop weapons created out of plastic, cardboard, foam or other such materials are allowed as long as they are not too realistic in appearance. Any prop, model, or replica guns that may be mistaken for a real weapon must be painted at least 50% in a bright color to be compliant with California’s Imitation Firearms Safety Act (SB 199).
- Functional weapons are not allowed. Airsoft guns (even if nonfunctional), swords with metal and other weapons that have metal components are not allowed. Prop weapons cannot have functional parts or be used to projectile any weapon.
- Misuse of any prop will result in immediate revocation of privileges. Props are not to be used in a threatening manner towards any person.
- Prop sizes are limited to less than 7 feet in height and 20 pounds. Anything that presents difficulty getting through a standard size door frame may be deemed a hazard and denied. Props must be carried carefully and in a neutral position, especially in crowded areas. Long or tall props are to be carried vertically and swords or guns should be holstered or otherwise secured.
Prohibited Items & Activities
Prohibited items include:
- Functional weapons are not allowed. Airsoft guns (even if non functional), swords with metal and other weapons that have metal components are not allowed.
- Pets or other animals, except approved service animals (e.g. dogs). Service animals must be under the control of the owner at all times and must remain on a leash or harness.
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited in all convention spaces.
- Any other items we deem to be harmful or disruptive.
The following activities are not allowed:
- The sale of goods or services from unauthorized parties (e.g. persons not registered as an artist or vendor).
- The distribution of printed or recorded materials in places other than the designated flyer table.
- Engaging in any unsafe act or other activity that may impede the operation of the convention.
- Vaping or smoking indoors.
Please supervise your children at all times. Attendees under age 13 must be accompanied by an attendee age 14 or older. Children 10 and under do not need to purchase admission but must be accompanied by a paid adult.
Kraken Con Rights
We may do the following:
- We may photograph, film, tape, record, or otherwise reproduce the image and/or voice of any person who attends the convention and use the same for promotional purposes without payment to any person.
- We reserve the right to deny admission, or to require a person already admitted to leave the convention without refund, liability or compensation if we deem that the circumstances so require.
- We may from time to time, without prior notice and without refund, liability, or compensation, change the operating hours of the convention, or any item of programming, and/or suspend or cancel any item of programming if we consider the circumstances so require.
- Policies are subject to change without notice.
Lost & Found
Kraken Con and the Oakland Convention Center are not responsible for lost or missing belongings. Any inquiries regarding lost or missing belongings should be directed to the Information desk. Any found belongings should likewise be taken to the Information desk.